By using our facial muscles repeatedly throughout our lifetime, the skin becomes creased in the areas of greatest use. Over time these wrinkles become permanent and more defined. Anti-wrinkle Toxin is used to relax specific muscles responsible for forming lines and wrinkles.
The results… a more youthful and pleasing appearance with the ability to help boost your self-confidence, immediately.
What areas can be treated with toxin?
Many areas of the face can benefit from anti-wrinkle Toxin injections. Recommended treatments vary on the individual and are discussed as part of a thorough consultation with Dr. Aicken. Here are some of the most common areas and the “industry” specific names for the locations you may have heard before:
- Crow’s feet/ laughter lines are the creases to the outer edges of eyes, typically more visible when smiling.
- Forehead lines or worry lines, can become deeper over time, and are located between the eyebrows and the hairline. These are most pronounced when raising eyebrows.
- Frown lines/ Glabellar lines / 11s lines are on the forehead, between the eyebrows, and are more visible when the eyebrows are lowered into a frown.
- A brow lift will relax the muscles under the brows, and in-so-doing, lift the eyebrows up. The effect of this treatment is subtle but effective
- Nose lift (depressor nasi). In some clients, an overactive muscle attaching the nose tip to the lip can cause the nose to droop when smiling. Once treated with botulinum toxin, the nose will droop less when smiling and talking.
- A Lip Flip – which works well alongside lip filler treatment – is performed by relaxing the outer muscles of the top lip, which in some patients, cause the lips to turn inwards towards the mouth, as part of the ageing process. This can be tested by looking in the mirror, smiling, and then relaxing the top lip, observing to see if it shrinks with smiling, and then returning to normal after relaxing. This is a subtle way to increase the size of the visible lips without the use of dermal filler.
- Lipstick or ‘smoker’s’ lines are vertical lines above the top lip and sometimes also, below the bottom lip. These tend to be more visible when the lips are pouted to kiss or apply lipstick.
- Bunny lines/ Nasalis lines are small lines at the top of the nose on either side, visible when the nose is wrinkled.
- A smile lift / Depressor Oris Angularis (DOAs) can address the downwards pull or ‘sad face’ seen increasingly at the mouth corners, with increasing age.
- A dimpled / ‘poppy’ chin can be relaxed with injections.
- Masseter Reduction, an overactive chewing muscle can give the appearance of a larger jaw and can also be related to TMJ pain, tension headaches, and teeth grinding. Relaxing this muscle will help shrink it slightly, in turn reducing the size of the jaw and any pain related to this overactivity. Dermal filler can also be used to rebalance the face.
- A gummy smile can be treated by relaxing the upper lip down towards the teeth to cover an overly visible gum line.
- Neckbands refer to relaxing the gentle creases in the neck where the neck folds. Skin boosters such as Profhilo are also an excellent treatment for this.
- Anti-wrinkle Toxin for Men: “Brotox”. The male face is anatomically different from that of the female. Extra care and attention are required in treating men with non-surgical facial rejuvenation due to larger facial muscles and more rugged skin.
There are also many medical uses for Botulinum Toxin, such as excessive sweating and migraine relief. Please see Dr. Aicken’s blog article for further information.
Is anti-wrinkle toxin right for me?
Committing to anti-wrinkle injections might seem daunting at first but our patients are impressed by the results and how it can really help boost confidence. The toxin can relax the muscles in the face giving a more youthful appearance, but it can also be used to slow down the ageing effect and be a preventative measure to stop lines from deepening over time.
People who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have a neurological disease affecting the face or neck, should not use anti-wrinkle injections in those areas.
Will it hurt?
The needle we use is 32G, which means that it is the thickness of human hair. In addition, we also use anaesthetic cream for all injections, which further optimises the experience for our clients. Additionally, as Dr Aicken has vast experience in injecting Botulinum Toxin and so his injection technique will also limit discomfort.
How long will it last?
Results are visible within a few days and last for three to four months. You can continue to top up with additional anti-wrinkle injections as required.
What is the downtime?
There is minimal downtime with this treatment, side effects are uncommon and time off work is not required.
What is the cost?
Our anti-wrinkle toxin injections are £160 for 2 areas or £199 for 3 areas. Possible areas are listed above. Masseters are counted as two areas and underarm sweating injections are priced at £350 per session. The toxin can also be combined with other treatments such as dermal filler or skin boosters or Aqualyx, for optimum results. Dr Aicken will review with you in your consultation the desired outcome you are hoping to achieve and tailor your treatment to you.
(For the toxin, there may be additional surcharges for men due to the muscle variation in the facial anatomy)